Ever seen a monarch butterfly? Well, at any rate, these beautiful butterflies are also endangered because people are destroying milkweed. Monarchs need milkweed to reproduce. First a monarch would lay its eggs. Then the eggs would hatch and out would come baby caterpillars. Next the caterpillars would much on food until they are big and strong. Finally, they would make a chrysalis on a milkweed plant.. Monarch butterflies stay hanging on that tree for quite a while so it wouldn’t be very pleasant for them if someone chopped down the milkweed while they were developing into butterflies. Here is how you can help them:
1. Plant milkweed so the moms can lay their eggs there and the babies can grow there
2. DO NOT try to catch them and/or keep them as pets
3. Donate to earthrangers.com which accepts donations to help the monarch butterfly.
4. Plant other butterfly attracting plants such as butterfly magnet and lavender in your garden. Monarchs and other butterfly’s feed on them
5. DO NOT touch monarch caterpillars, eggs, or butterflies
Well that is all you need to know. Stay tuned for new posts.